General information covering the User Interface
The User Interface for VISUAL PLANNING allows the user to access all of the functions provided by the tool, based on user access rights.
The main window is displayed as follows:
USING THE MOUSE
Drag and Drop
Shifting graphical objects around the schedule can be done by dragging them with the mouse (press left hand button to pick up, release to drop)
Example: Create an event, move it, extend it.
The right-hand button on the mouse is exclusively used to display context sensitive pop-up menus.
It can be used on:
- objects (an event or resource),
- an empty zone on the schedule,
- the header of a date column.
The left-hand button on the mouse is used for all other functions:
- Selecting an object,
- Validating an action,
- Running a functionality,
- Moving a graphical element.
When VISUAL PLANNING documentation uses the term “click”, it is inherently referring to the “left click”.
The double click is used to give rapid access to certain functionalities.
Most of the time, a contextual pop-up menu is available for this function.
One exception to this rule: there is no alternative to a double click on the title bar of the Schedule view.
Double-clicking on the view title bar will enlarge the view on the screen.
- Ctrl + left click: select multiple objects of the same type (resources, events, items in a list, etc.),
- Shift + left click: select a range or a rectangular zone from a previously selected object (this selection is propagated horizontally, vertically or at an angle, for events),
- Shift + drag an event: duplicate an event and drop the copy as required on the schedule; the initial event remains in its original position,
- Alt + drag one event onto another do not move the event, rather create a link between the original event and the event on which you release the mouse button,
- Ctrl + Drag/Drop a resource onto an event, based upon the hierarchy of events: either assign the resource to the event, or replace the assigned resource with the selected resource, or else create a child event,
- Ctrl + C: Copy a selection,
- Ctrl + X: Cut a selection,
- Ctrl + V: Paste a selection,
- Ctrl + Z : Cancels the entry made in a Text or a Multiline text heading,
- Ctrl + A Select all events or resources on the display,
- Ctrl + E: Open the properties of the selected resources or events,
- Ctrl + R: Open the edit window to add a new resource,
- Shift + Del: Delete a selection without a warning message,
- Shift + Insert: Paste a selection into a drop-down list,
- Ctrl + Space on a text heading: Used to display the list of existing values for the section,
- Two, slow, left clicks on a section of text, multi-line, Boolean, numerical, date/time, barcode, password: used to directly modify the value of the heading,
- Alt + Right and Alt + Left or Alt + Scroll wheel on a Schedule view header: modify the width of the columns in the display, without modifying the time scale,
- Ctrl + Scroll wheel on a Schedule View header: modify the time scale of the display,
- F5: Refreshes the display,
- Left and right keyboard arrows: Scroll through the schedules and resources to the left or right,
- Ctrl + Drag and Drop a resource onto the schedule of another resource: copy and paste all events from the first resource onto the schedule of the second,
- Ctrl + S: Save current favorite display,
- Ctrl + Shift + S: Save a new favorite display.
MULTIPLE SELECTIONS AND OPERATIONS
Numerous VISUAL PLANNING functions can be applied simultaneously to multiple objects: events, resources of the same size.
To do so, carry out a multiple selection using the mouse and the Shift and/or Ctrl keys, then right-click on the selected objects and apply the required command.
This is also applicable, in the same manner, to each selected object individually.
COMMAND AND INFORMATION BARS
The interface is controlled using the following information and command elements: